Talking with Celebrity Hairstylist Cynthia Alvarez
1. Many say you are the trendsetting creator of hairstyles that hollywood loves. Firstly how does it feel to be such an acclaimed hairstylist? Also where do you get the ideas for such cool hairstyles? Firstly, i feel so humbled to be making a living doing what I enjoy! And to be recognized by so many infuencial people is just the icing on the cake. I think a lot of what influences my style is where I'm from. In the Bronx, everyone has so much personal style that you as an individual look for new, innovative ways to be Fly and stand out in a crowd. I feel like I definitely apply this when I'm doing hair for my clients.
2. What sets you aside from other Celebrity Hairstylist? I think what sets me apart from everyone else is that I am comfortable in my own skin, I'm confident in all that I do, and i think that its reflected in my work. I also have a fluid personality. I can work with almost any type of person and I also like to collaborate with my clients on a look as opposed to trying to dictate what they're next style will be.
3. Who has been or is your favorite client thus far? I know this answer is cliché, but I really love all of my clients. I've been really lucky to work with clients that I admire and respect and They all have different elements that I love! Just to name a few.... Keke Palmer has such a vivacious and big personality, she has great energy and is wise beyond her years. DASCHA is just such a real chick and so down to earth, she feels like home to me...reminds me of my titi's and primas back home. Alicia Keys really helped me reach a spiritual state that I never thought I could experience. She expanded my mind and i even traveled the world 2x with her on tour. Shakira is also one of my favorites as well. She made me appreciate and be proud of my Latin roots. I also traveled the world with her all while being pregnant which was a special experience in itself.
4. We love that you are young, fun, and successful, how does it feel to be a woman young girls can strive to be like? Honestly, being a role model is something I've always hoped I'd become. I'm not perfect but I want to help inspire young girls who are confused, alone, and unsure of their talents.... I used to be that girl! I believe if I had someone to aspire to be like, it would've saved me a lot of time... And grief. There's a certain confidence you gain when you know your own path in life. I'd like young women to know they don't have to be another statistic, they can take control of their life and make of it what they've always dreamed of.
5. Do you feel like your an example to young woman?
I hope that I can be an example to young women. My story is one that's meant to uplift every girl, boy , person to strive to be their best. I was raised in a poverty stricken neighborhood and I made it out! ... Doing what more than half the women do as a hobby in their kitchens, for their daughters, and on stoops of buildings everyday. I didn't have to use my sexuality to gain momentum, and that in itself is empowering. Exotic and curvy women are often pressured into believing that being the video vixen or a 'dancer' is their only way out... To be a rappers baby momma means you've made it. I'd like for women to know that you CAN make it all on your own, and to have that feeling is priceless!
6. What is next for Cynthia? I will always work on being the best me I can be. I am defintely a work in progress and in that process, I'd continue to build my clientelle while being an entrepreneur in the beauty industry. Exciting endeavours are on the horizon!!
7. Outside of Hairstyling, what are some of your other talents/skills? Not many know this, but I started in the industry doing both hair and makeup. After about a year, I realized I enjoyed doing hair a lot more so I quit makeup. But I can still whip up a quick beat if need be ;-)
8. When did you begin doing hair? Did you ever think you would end up famous for what you do?
Its hard to pinpoint the exact moment I picked up a comb and styled someone's hair. I just remember doing it, especially as a young girl. All of my cousins are female and they're older than me so I used to watch them do their hair for a night out or for church and they would always need an extra pair of hands.. That's where I came in and I then realized I had an actual skill at doing it. Looking back at it, I never even expected to have a career doing hair, let alone styling celebrities!
9. Do you have a specialty? In the beginning of my career, I thought about that question. And for a long time I said ' styling and healthy hair care'. But now, I realized I'm so much more than that! I don't want to pigeon hole myself by summing my talents into one single specialty. Right now, wigs and color are setting me apart, a year ago I was much more into weaves, who knows what type of hair movements I'll be known for next year. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades when it comes to hair. I'm ever evolving as an artist.
10. What hairstylist do you admire? I admire so many hairstylists for different reasons. I admire the hairstylists with children, who sacrifice precious moments and time with their young ones to be able to pursue their dream and passion. I admire the salon hairstylists who create cuts and color for clients, only to have freelance hairstylists take credit in the magazine covers, red carpets, and in campaigns. I admire the hairstylists who dedicate their lives teaching younger generations the trade... The teachers who groom legends!!
11. In what era is your favorite era of hair? I love the 80's hair! It was free and full of pride. It reflected peoples own personalities and so many rules were broken. It had mullets, crazy curls, feathered and big hair, crimps, colorful braids, and acopyll kinds of chemical processes... It was so bad that it was great!!
12. Where can people find you? People can find me mainly on Instagram @CynthiaGlam.
Or on twitter @hairbycynthia.
13. Is there anything that you would like to share with us here at The Morgan Mag!? I definitely want to close this interview by encouraging all people from different walks of life to relentlessly pursue their own happiness. Trust in yourself to make the necessary changes, whether its in your professional or personal life, because you are worth that much. U owe it to yourself to be the best person you can be so that you can infect that happiness back into the universe and receive all the blessings owed to you! Xx